This is obviously a skeleton list of what you need to consider when putting together your budget and proposal for the school board.
Cost per student can be calculated in many ways, but you have to keep in mind that if you are paying for laptops over three years, then the cost of the laptops is 180 days multiplied by 3 years then divided by the total price of the laptop and the bag.
- Will you need an addition server for web 2.0 applications? (teacher web pages, blogs, shared calendars, wikispaces, podcasting, school web pages, video streaming, etc.)
- Do you have enough server space for the file server? (Do you have enough file space for say 2 GB per user to store on the server – or whatever size directory you will be allowing?)
- Switches: Do you have switches or hubs connecting your wiring closets or main wings of your work? You will want it to be a switched network.
- Will your wired network handle the addtion of the wireless component?
- How many wireless routers or airports will you need to “cover” the entire building? This includes considering the number of students – if they all connected at once – to that wireless connection. Can your network handle it? obstacles (wiremess windows, rebar, cement block walls, metal lockers, etc.)
- Will your wired network handle the addition of the wireless component?
- How many wireless routers or airports will you need to “cover” the entire building? This includes considering the number of students – if they all are connected at once – to that wireless connection. Can your network handle it?
- What obstacles might you have to overcome?
- access points
- Maximum number of students connecting to each access point
- Who gets them? (Which grade levels, teachers, secretaries, administrators, paras, etc.)
- What are the minimum needs for those receiving? (Does the LAN man/computer teacher need more than a reading para? Does a student need a DVD burner, and what size hard drive for each group of users?)
- What will you do with the desktop computers and will they still be in the rotation for purchasing?
- Leasing and warrantee should match
- Rotation schedule
- Hard drive size
- Disk drives (cd burner? dvd burner?)
- Processor speeds
- Web cameras
- Display adapters (for each model)
- Extra batteries
- Server software
- Word processing
- Photo editing
- Web design
- Graphic organizers
- Video conferencing
- Student observation (remote desktop)
- Learning management software (blackboard, angel, moodle, myelearning, a free site, teacher web site)
- Music creation/podcast
- Desktop publishing
- Online subscriptions (learning management systems, online libraries or literature databases)
- Free software downloads needed
- Virus/spam/adware protection (annual subscription fees and initial purchase)(We opted to spend this money elsewhere with Macs)
- Annual software upgrades as they are released
- Operating system upgrades as they are released
- Backpacks, bags, or sleeves to protect laptops
- Still cameras
- Video cameras
- Document cameras
- Printing (network or indivdidual, ink inventory, etc.)
- How much training can you get scheduled before the deployment?
- How much training can be done by staff and how much needs to be brought in?
- How much substitute time can be figured in for sending teachers to tech trainings and workshops?
- LAN manager
- Parents (internet safety)
- Laptop Initiative Budget Items to Consider When Proposing